If you have superficial skin problems that don’t require an invasive procedure, microdermabrasion is another option for improving your skin’s condition. What’s good about this skin treatment is that it has minimal risks, quick recovery, and doesn’t need anesthesia.
How Does Microdermabrasion Work?
Microdermabrasion is a gentle skin treatment in Calgary to rejuvenate the skin on the face, neck or any area of your body. It uses a mini hand apparatus with an attached vacuum that abrades the outermost layers of your skin and suctions your dead skin cells. These removed dead skin cells will be quickly replaced by your body with new ones.
This treatment promotes blood circulation in your face that helps in collagen production. The result is improved skin suppleness and an enhanced complexion.
Today, various types of microdermabrasion are utilized by skincare specialists in Calgary to make you look younger. The first type releases refined crystal specks of dust on the skin to exfoliate and then sucks up the dead skin cells. Other types use coarse tips that glide on your face to scrape away dead skin cells.
What Types of Skin Are Suitable For This Treatment?
Microdermabrasion is safe for all skin types and skin tones except for those with sensitive skin, acne, or skin diseases, as the style of treatment can be an irritant. It is not advisable for people with severe acne, eczema, psoriasis, herpes, lupus, rosacea, or sunburn. Also, it really doesn’t matter what age you are. If you are between the age of 12 to 65, it is generally safe to use this type of treatment.
If you have sensitive or delicate skin, most types of microdermabrasion devices allow the practitioner to adjust the intensity of treatment, and a gentler application is used. The result is not permanent, and you will have to repeat the treatment to maintain your rejuvenated appearance. Also, protect your skin with sunscreen and moisturizers immediately after each session for more effective results.
Duration of Treatment
Your skin normally regenerates every 30 days, so the doctor may require you to return for five to 10 sessions before signs of improvement are noticed. They can be repeated bi-weekly, or monthly. This depends on what your skin specialist will advise for your skin type and concerns.
Advantages of Microdermabrasion
- Enhances your skin tone to achieve an even-colored complexion.
- Improves dullness and roughness in your skin texture.
- Minimizes the mild signs of aging like superficial wrinkles.
- Evens out the thicker layer of your skin through exfoliation.
- Minimizes enlarged pores on your face.
- Makes skin smoother and younger-looking by boosting collagen production.
- Prevents acne and treats superficial scars such as light acne marks.
- Reduces age spots and dark spots caused by acne or melasma.
- Diminishes stretch marks and blackheads.
- Aids in the skin’s absorption of skin-bleaching or anti-aging products.
- Treats early sun-damaged skin and hyperpigmentation.
- Is relatively affordable compared to other skin treatments. The deeper the treatment, the higher the price you will pay to have an effective solution to your skin concerns.
Side Effects of Microdermabrasion
Since this treatment is applied to the top layer of the skin only, it has minor and temporary side effects, such as:
- Mild swelling and light ‘sunburn’ effect for several days after the procedure.
- Slight bruising, especially in the eyes’ skin if you take aspirin or blood thinners.
- Skin sensitivity, especially to sunlight
- Scarring or increased risk of scarring.
- May rupture fine blood vessels in your face if your treatment is not properly done or is overdone.
- Reactivation of cold sores around the mouth
Are Home Microdermabrasion Kits Effective And Safe?
Some stores sell at-home microdermabrasion kits you can try to make your skin soft and fine. However, they are not as effective as in-clinic procedures since trained professionals use more powerful machines that are not available to the public. However, if you cannot make it to the clinic and opt for at-home treatment, be very careful not to overdo it because it has side effects like other skin treatments.